To reduce the risk of accidents when using a forklift work platform in Surrey, Langley and Vancouver area, is to make sure that you and your workers are familiar with the proper safety procedures and having the proper forklift training.
Here Are 4 Major Tips When Using A Work Platform
CCOHS has grouped the procedures into 4 areas:
- The Do’s
- Operators Responsibility’s
- The Don’ts
- Contact with power lines
- Contact with unguarded moving parts of the Forklift.
- Contact with overhead obstructions
- Adverse weather conditions
- Injury due to rollover
- Falling from platform
Work platforms that are you used to elevate and support workers should only be used when all other methods are not available, such as scaffold and elevating work platforms.
- All persons involved are educated and trained for the task at hand and the Forklift is only operated by a trained and competent person.
- Ensure the engineered elevated work platform is in accordance with the appropriate safety standards.
- Ensure guard rails are in place
- Ensure toe boards are present
- Forks are secured and at correct width apart
- Ensure that personal are protected from any moving parts
- Overhead protection is provided when required
- Ensure there is good, clear and constant communication between Forklift operator and worker in platform. Use walkie talkies or hand signals in loud environment’s.
- Fall protection must be worn as well as any other personal protective equipment for the task at hand
- Inspect forklift and fall protection before use
- Ensure work area is clear and free of hazards
3. Operators Responsibility’s
- Be trained and educated for the task at hand
- Ensure the work area is cordoned off with safety cones
- Ensure the forklift is on flat level surface
- Ensure platform is horizontal and centered, tilt function and side-shift not to be used when using platform
- Not exceed forklifts rated capacity
- Place gear in neutral and parking brake set
- Lower platform to safe travel height before and forklift movement
- Ensure smooth movements when lifting and lowering personal, and only with there direction.
- Operator always stays in cab of forklift with hand away from controls till needed
- Do not operate without the proper training for the task at hand
- Do not operate if guards are missing or not functioning properly
- Do not move forklift when the platform is elevated
- Do not let anyone walk under elevated platform
- Do not let anything interfere with the fall arrest system
- Do not let anyone climb on part of the forklift while entering or exiting the platform
Workers in the work platform:
- Do not work on a work platform if the forklift is not on firm level ground
- Do not stand or climb on guardrails, railings, planking or ladders to get higher
- Do not overfill the work platform space, overcrowding will reduce the space needed to work
- Do not climb on any part of the truck when entering or exiting the platform
Based on CCOHS materials.
Here is a short video of a typical Forklift work platform.